It’s almost Halloween, and you’re getting ready to create an utterly scary costume. But to truly nail the look, you’ll need some help! Spirit Halloween’s tutorial on how to use appliances, spirit gum, and liquid latex is here to help you complete the ultimate Halloween horror look.
An appliance is a type of special effect makeup in the form of an adhesive skin decoration that can make you look like you have a vampire bite, a shredded scar, cut lips, or any other freaky horror effect you can think of. When applied correctly, they look extremely realistic and won’t come off until you want them to. Appliances only take a few minutes to apply to the skin, and they’re sure to up the fear factor on your horrifying costume.
The video below offers a visual demonstration of these steps.
How to apply a Halloween appliance to your skin with spirit gum and liquid latex:
- Brush spirit gum onto the appliance and wait for it to get tacky.
- Once the spirit gum is tacky, press the appliance to your skin and wait 30 seconds.
- Brush a layer of liquid latex on the appliance to give the appearance of it being flatter on your skin. You may need to apply liquid latex more than once.
- To finish blending the appliance, use a foundation that matches your skin tone.
- Once the latex is dry, you can also use creams or greases to create a bruised look and enhance the gory nature of the appliance. Our Halloween makeup palette, as used in the video, offers a variety of colors, and allows you to make a gash look even deeper or more bloody.
- A stippling sponge can be used to add more bruising detail with makeup such as purple and black around the wound, and yellow along the outer edges, and make your fake wound look more realistic.
- Use white face powder to create a more natural finish.
- It’s easy to remove an appliance along with the spirit gum and liquid latex. To remove spirit gum, use the included spirit gum remover, rubbing alcohol, or nail polish remover. Liquid latex peels easily off the skin.
Items to purchase to create this scary look:
You may also want to check out our video on how to use fake blood.
No matter what kind of horror makeup you decide to use, we hope you have a terrifyingly thrilling Halloween!